Thursday, July 31, 2008

I am a canner, I can!

I hesitated writing this email, because I wanted everyone to take a look at the post below this one (the one with the movie that Scott made staring Dallin), but if I don't do it now, it will be lost forever!

What better way to celebrate Pioneer Day (July 24th) than to go to the cannery! A friend of mine in our ward here set everything up, and another friend was nice enough to watch the boys, so I took the plunge and did it, "I am a canner, I can"! It was a lot of fun, I mean how can you go wrong, I got to wear funny but protective gear and run a complicated machine (not so complicated but I did manage to somehow jam it). Plus I left the cannery with about 17 cans of food storage, not a bad start! All Scott managed to say when he saw my photo documentary was "It is a good thing you don't work in a factory-it is not flattering for you"-nice!


Posted by Picasa
Getting started-you dump the "product" into the sterile buckets-I was the muscle oh yeah! We did a whole production line-loading the cans, putting in the "moisture packets" (I felt this was a bit stressful, since they can't be exposed to air for too long), labeling, boxing, eating the scraps (that is a no-no) and then cleaning up. It honestly was a blast, thanks to Sarah for setting it up, for Kandi for being so organized and for Cherryl for packing things up so well! It rocked!

4 comments:

Mom/Grandma Perry said...

How can Scott say that wasn't a "flattering look for you" I thought you looked "precious". All kidding aside, looks like you had loads of fun and like you said you came home with some food storage. Next time remind them that you are a bit of a perfectionist so that they don't give you any of those stressful jobs. I know you were probably very worried about getting those packets in just right and on time. Good work and see you in a few days.

Melissa said...

How fun. Just so you know, I heard that you shouldn't store your food storage in your garage in San Diego. It goes bad in a few months. We don't have any anyway but I heard of some people that did it and the F.S. expert said it was bad. Like there are so much extra space in our houses for food storage.

The Hedquists said...

I think you look precious in your canning ensemble! Oh rats, your mom already said that. . . Well, you do! I like the motto "I'm a canner, I can!" A few weeks ago in church a friend shared their family's motto, "winners find ways" and Shaun turned right around with ours "loafers find ways." I love the family picture!

Love, Lori

Great-Grandma said...

Gosh, it is wonderful. Somehow in the 21 years I've been a member I have missed out on that treat. You go April!!!!!!!! You are really using your "stay at home Mom" for some really great activities. Keep it up. Will see you in 4 days. YEA!